Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Marly's New Novel, A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage

I just said in my last post that I wanted to reach out to others, and what did I find, one minute later, in my email box, but an opportunity to do just that?
I have told you before about my friend Marly Youman's terrific books. How she has a new one, long-anticipated and just being launched today, that I want to tell you about. Here's some information about it:

A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage
Mercer University Press, March 30th, 2012
hardcover or ebook


http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
SAMPLE CHAPTER at

Winner of The Ferrol Sams Award
Ms. Youmans gives us a beautifully written and exceptionally satisfying novel with rich language and lovely turns of phrase that invite the reader to linger on every page.
*
Comments from writers
A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage tells of a young boy's travels through the black heart of Depression America and his search for light both metaphorical and real. Writing with a controlled lyrical passion, Marly Youmans has crafted the finest, and the truest period novel I've read in years.
--Lucius Shepard
*
Marly Youmans' new book is a vividly realized, panoramic novel of survival during The Great Depression. There is poetry in Youmans' writing, but she also knows how to tell a riveting story.
--Ron Rash
*
In A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage, Marly Youmans gives us a beautifully written and exceptionally satisfying novel. The book reads as if Youmans took the best parts of The Grapes of Wrath, On the Road, The Reivers, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and crafted from them a tale both magical and fine. Her rich language and lovely turns of phrase invite the reader to linger. Ironically, there is at the same time a subtle pressure throughout the novel to turn the page, because Youmans has achieved that rarest of all accomplishments: she has created a flawed hero about which we care. A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage is one of the best books I have read.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
--Raymond L. Atkinshttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif




Novel in pre-order:
Recent poetry:

2 comments:

marly youmans said...

Thanks, Robinka! I appreciate it.

Robbi N. said...

My pleasure.